Saturday 10 October 2015

Screen brightness uneven -- anyone else?



Folks,

Got a question for you -- as per the title. To give you a little background, I bought an S2 8.0, loved it, and then decided that I really ought to replace my existing "data plan" tablet from the S 8.4 to the S2 9.7. So, good-bye to the S2 8.0, and I've got a new S2 9.7 LTE.

All is well, EXCEPT for some screen oddness. I'll have to post some pictures, but I think I can describe it well enough. To begin with, I don't really like "busy" wallpaper -- I just use a solid-color, medium-to-dark blue wallpaper as my background. What I really notice, both in portrait and landscape orientation, is a darker band at the top of the screen -- again, it happens in both portrait and landscape orientation. It seems to be a "viewing angle" thing, as the dark "top" in landscape orientation doesn't turn into a dark "side" in portrait orientation. Instead, when I move to portrait orientation, then the top of the screen has this dark band, and the sides are just fine.

But I don't notice quite the same thing happening when I get into some apps -- for instance, the yellow/orange top band in the "Memo" application doesn't turn noticeably darker. But the green top band in the "Evernote" application shows it IN SPADES, though it's a really thin band at the very edge of the screen. And, again, it's always at the top, no matter which orientation I'm in, that I see the dark band.

Anyway, that's the most obvious stuff. However, when you back up and take the whole screen in view, what I'm really seeing is A LOT OF COLOR CHANGE as I angle the tablet towards me (more vertical) and away from me (more horizontal). Again, just go into the Memo application, and lay your tablet flat on a table, then grab it and tilt it up towards you -- do you get a big change in color, or does it stay the same? I guess I would say that the "white" color "turns bluish" as I raise the tablet towards me (making it more vertical), and it goes more to a normal white when I lay it flat.

I can understand changes in screen quality due to viewing angles, but that's not something that I associate with OLED screens. I sure didn't see anything like this at all with the S2 8.0 that I had. And I've started looking at S2 9.7 tablets in stores, and I really haven't seen anything like it in the stores. Thus, I'm definitely thinking about returning the thing -- unless it's really a case of "they all do it."

So, if you guys could check out your tablets and let me know if you see anything like this, I would appreciate it. It's not worth taking the thing back and asking for an exchange if what I'm seeing is common, but I'm definitely a bit disappointed in the screen quality that I've got with this tablet.

Thanks in advance for checking this out for me, and for any thoughts you'd like to send my way!

thoots



No comments:

Post a Comment