Saturday 10 October 2015

Custom made leather skin



Hey guys,

So I got a 'leather' skin from dbranz (I knew it wasn't leather), but it just wasn't enough for me. No one makes (nice) leather cases for our phone, so I thought I'd make my own.



Below is an attempt at an unbiased review. I will also show how I made it if it interests anyone else.

How I made it:

I downloaded a Xperia Z3C 3D model and began modelling a back case thing, along with hangover around the top and bottom edges (see pics).
Good thing, the back measurements were correct, however in my haste (and laziness), I assumed the 3D model was correct and so some things are out of place (fixed now for anyone who wants the files).
So, I made this back design, sent it to Ponoko.com and they laser cut it onto leather for me, and it's great!
Price was around for cutting costs, for leather and for shipping (all USD). However if you're a new customer to Ponoko, you get off your first order, which halves the cost to a reasonable USD.

The sheets come with a suede leather on the back with no adhesive, so I just used double sided tape to attach it to my phone, which worked better than I hoped. I used a craft scalpel to cut the excess tape out of holes etc. I must note the the laser almost burnishes the leather automatically, but when I was trimming the tape back, I cut a little leather off. It's not a huge deal, but might be nicer if you didn't.

Think that's it for the design...

Review (and pics):

First of all, it came out much better than I had hoped. It's a 1.5mm thin layer of what Ponoko call driftwood leather.
It feels like leather. It's soft to the touch, it's thick enough that there is a little give when you press into it, but thin enough to not to add thickness to the phone.

The Ponoko outlet I got it cut only had two types of leather available, with this being the best suited. However the USA store has many different types!

The laser cutting from Ponoko is fantastic. However I must note that the laser leaves a burned hair kind of smell on the cuts, but it is fading away, and I'm sure will totally go soon.

All in all, after a few days of having it, I can say it's well spent and I can't wait for this to start ageing.

Pictures are here: http://imgur.com/a/QjMGx

Files and misc:

See attached Files below. I've made many variations so if someone isn't familiar with illustrator and laser cutting can do it simply. Ponoko give you a certain amount of leather to cut, and you can put whatever you want in it. I will try and fit on as many copies as I can (which will be no extra charge from Ponoko).

The files have options with Sony logo perimeter engraved, the entire area engraved, and no logo at all.
Also, the above options with and without the bottom wrap thing.

I'm willing to do requests (to a degree), so fee free to ask.














Attached Files






File Type: zip laser_cut_options.zip -
[Click for QR Code]
(913.8 KB)







No comments:

Post a Comment