Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Any 5.1 ROM that isn't horribly slow?



I use CM12.1 on both my N7 2012 and N6 and it's incredibly slow on the N7. Clearing the cache does nothing, trim does nothing, F2FS /cache and /data does nothing and even the stock 5.1.1 image is slow.

I've read everything under the sun about poor NAND, not enough RAM, poor CPU, etc but none of them really make that much sense. I have hardly anything running EVER and I only have a few apps installed for opening documents an such. No Facebook or Email clients or anything that would be running in the background. The built in RAM manager tells me that I usually have over 50% of my RAM free and with such a small number of things running, my CPU usage is low, so I fail to see where the issue lies. I guess the NAND, but I also read articles about how that's kind of a load of bull as someone tested old 2012 N7s that had been heavily used and slow, as well as new ones and the R/W speeds were the same.

The main thing that bothers me about it is the fact that when I do a clean install of the 5.1.1 factory image or even CM12.1, it will be snappy for all of 10 minutes and then suddenly it becomes annoyingly slow. It's by no means unusable, but compared to my Nexus 6 every action feel like it takes 2-3 times a long. Even doing my pattern unlock feels sluggish.

I went back to KitKat tonight and it seems to run much better, but there are some things I've gotten so used to with Lollipop and Holo looks plain ugly now that I'd really rather not use KK. Does ANYBODY know of something I can do to speed it up even a little bit. This almost seems like a kernel related issue to me, seeing as how the N7 has been running off of an old kernel for most of it's life. It makes me wonder if there are some kernel-level things that might be done to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment